Bachmann Class 158 DMU ( New Tooling Version 2020 Release)
Bachmann Class 158 – Retooled year 2020 release model
With the like of Rapido Trains / Real Track Models raising the bar on super detailed models, Bachmann’s class 158 model was looking dated & lacking behind in comparison. Bachmann has now completely retooled & upped the spec on their class 158 DMU model & have released an all-new super detailed model. Compared to its old model, is a big improvement that puts in the same league as Real Tracks class 156 model. The first releases have now hit the shops with more different liveries that will follow on from the first batch.
The specs are very impressive, which apart from the usual things such as fine-scale wheels, all-wheel power pickups, tinted flush glazing, is as follows:
- Working BSI Multiple couplings on the unit front ends. A first for UK DMU models.
- Interior working passenger compartment lighting.
- Independent working cab interior lighting.
- Working Central Locking Door warning lights.
- Day & night time headlights. Directional.
- Rear taillights. Directional.
- Factory fitted speakers on all models.
- DCC ready & DCC sound fitted versions. (Will need a 6 function decoder)
- DCC socket is the new Plux22 type. Decoder socket can be accessed by removing the engine moulding on the chassis under side.
- Powered plug & pin type central plug/socket on the unit inner ends.
- Bag of extra detail parts supplied for fitting by the modeller.
- Improved interior detailing.
- Detailed underfloor chassis.
- Each car is motorised. The bogie on the inner end being motorised.
- Low profile 5 pole motor.
- Metal chassis with access points for lubrication of the drive train.
We’ve been lucky enough to have been loaned a sound fitted version in BR Regional Railways. In testing, we found the model very smooth throughout all the speed range. The model had no problems on the 4% grade incline, crossovers & proved to be very sure-footed. On one part of the layout in the fiddle yard, there is a hidden return loop which at its tightest radius is 2nd radius. The model had no issues in negotiating this tight radius curve. Another nice touch is the standard factory fitted BSI working couplings, a first for ready to run UK models.
Some modellers have swapped out the factory fitted speaker for a better quality speaker, which really does improve the sound now end on the sound fitted models. The only negative is the price that may be out of reach for some modellers.
- All brand new tooling
- Fine-scale wheels
- All-wheel pick-ups
- Detailed upgraded chassis.
- Fine printed decoration
- Working prototypical BSI multiple unit close couplings
- Interior detailing, working interior passenger compartment lighting, cab lighting, central door locking lighting
- Working head & tail lights with day & night options
- Conductive powered coupling between the two cars
- Sound fitted versions available
- DCC ready option
- Plux 22 DCC socket
- Low profile motor in both cars
- Separate bag of detail parts for fitting by the modeller
- Factory fitted speaker on all models
- Lighting switches on chassis for lighting options for DC users
- Era 1989 – current day
- Liveries: GWR (First Group), BR Regional Railways, East Midland Trains, Scotrail, Network Southeast.
31-517 to 31-520
- 31-517DS Class 158 2-Car DMU 158849 BR Regional Railways
- 371-850 Class 158 2-Car DMU 158849 BR Regional Railways
- 371-851 Class 158 2-Car DMU 158711 ScotRail Saltire
- 31-517 Class 158 2-Car DMU 158849 BR Regional Railways
- 31-518 Class 158 2-Car DMU 158773 East Midlands Trains
- 31-519 Class 158 2-Car DMU 158766 GWR Green (FirstGroup)
- 31-518SF Class 158 2-Car DMU 158773 East Midlands Trains
- 31-519SF Class 158 2-Car DMU 158766 GWR Green (FirstGroup)
- 31-520 Class 159 3-Car DMU 159013 BR Network SouthEast (Revised)
- 31-520SF Class 159 3-Car DMU 159013 BR Network SouthEast (Revised)
[wordbay]Bachman Class 158 DMU[/wordbay]
Have one of these in your collection?
Let us know what you think, or share your photos via the comments below.
Summary Up there with the likes of Rapido / Realtrack class 156. Bachmann have raised up to the challenge to bring a stunning model of the class 158 to market. Highly recommend